This caramelized banana porridge is banana infused, sweet, creamy and warming, perfect for the cold autumn mornings.
As the days are getting darker and colder this banana porridge is the only thing that gets me out of bed in the mornings.
10 min to make
And you have this healthy dessert-like breakfast to start the day with.
The banana makes this porridge extra creamy and sweet. I like to make it with coconut milk because it gives a very nice thick consistency and taste, but almond or any other non-dairy milk works well too.
The topping of honey caramelized banana and frozen cherries or berries is a perfect combination of sweet and slightly sour, which makes this porridge taste extra luxurious.
For more healthy and simple breakfast recipes, be sure to check out my
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 ripe banana (peeled and mashed)
- 2 cups milk of choice ( I like almond or oat milk)
- 2Tbs honey
- ½ teaspoon cinamon, to taste
- FOR THE CARAMELIZED BANANA
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon cinamon
- TOPPINGS (optional)
- Fresh fruit (kiwifruit,cherries,rasberries, oranges)
- Peanut butter
- Desiccated coconut
- In a medium bowl mash the banana until smooth
- Add it into a pan together with the milk, oats honey and cinamon.Cook for for 10 to 15 minutes on a medium heat, stir frequently and lower the heat if the oats start to stick to the bottom.
- When the oats are softened and mixture tickened, remove the pan from the stove.
- In a frying pan add the cocnut oil, once it's melted add the sliced bananas together with the honey and cinamon and fry for 5min until the bananas get that golden caramelized color.
- Once ready, serve the oatmeal into a bowl by adding the caramelized bananas on the top.
- (I also like adding some other fruit like cherries, sliced oranges, kiwifruit, anything that has a slightly sour taste, and a big spoon of peanut butter)