These gluten-free chocolate hazelnut muffins are NATURALLY SWEETENED, EXTREMELY CHOCOLATEY with CRUNCHY HAZELNUT BITS INSIDE.
The chocolate and hazelnuts give these muffins that NUTELLA TASTE.
When it comes to the texture, they are tender and moist on the inside that makes them melt in your mouth.
And in case I forgot to mention, they are very very delicious! 🙂
The chocolate hazelnut muffins are also VEGAN and GLUTEN FREE, suitable for everyone following these diets.
I had a crazy weekend of writing essays and research papers. The deadlines made me feel like my head was drowning in words and sentences. Cooking something that required more than half an hour was something I only could have dreamt of. But regardless of all the pressure, I promised myself that I would not skip meals. In the past, I was the kind of person, who during stressful periods used to stop eating (in a way). More precisely, what I did was replace my main meals with unhealthy, low-nutrient snacks (which role was to trick my body, by making me feel full).
But since then I’ve learned ways and strategies to better cope with stress and also never to neglect my body like that. Because if you eat well, you will automatically feel better and thus be more productive in whatever you are doing. Also by eating the right foods, you can increase your energy and concentration.
So this time I welcomed the stressful period well prepared.
Taking short breaks helped me to take my mind off the assignments and my eyes away from the laptop. So one day I did yoga and the other I decided for a walk in nature.
Food related, for breakfast, I made the Tropical Overnight Oats (even though I must admit I had more of the topping than I had oats) but it’s just that good!
For lunch, I made my Creamy Red Lentil Pasta only instead of having the sauce over pasta I had it over baked potato wedges, and I would say it tastes quite good over potatoes but with pasta is much better! As snacks, I had Sweet Potato Wedges
However, during stressful times I tend to crave more sweet things. And that’s where these gluten-free chocolate hazelnut muffins came to save the day!
They are perfectly sweet yet healthy and incredibly quick to make. Plus these muffins are student friendly and very affordable.
- 1½ cups oat flour
- ½ cup whole oats
- 2 Tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 2 bananas
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 80gr dark chocolate, chopped
- 50gr hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 to 3 Tbsp non-dairy milk or water, (depending on how thick is the batter)
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 60gr dark chocolate
- 2tsp coconut oil
- 1tsp maple syrup (or some other sweetener)
- Start by preheating the oven to 180C (fan)
- Measure 1⅕ cup whole oats and process them in a food processor or a coffee grinder until you get a flour-like consistency.
- In a big bowl mix all the dry ingredients (oat flour, whole oats, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt)
- In another bowl mash the bananas and add all the wet ingredients. Whisk until all are well combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until everything combines.
- Next, stir in the chopped chocolate and hazelnuts.
- Once the mixture is stirred well transfer the mix into muffin trays. If the tray is not non-stick, line them with coconut oil (or any other) or place baking sheets.
- Bake them for 25 to 30 min, stick a knife or a fork into one to check if it comes out clean if it does then they are cooked.
- THE CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- Melt the chocolate with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, add 1 or 2 tablespoons(depends on how sweet you like it ) of the sweetener of choice(I like using maple syrup).
- Pour the sauce over the muffins
- Top them with chopped hazelnuts (optional)