These PB&J Chocolate Tarts are truly my dream dessert.
They are super chocolatey with creamy melt-in-your-mouth texture, infused with a strawberry jam and finished with a white blanket of whipped coconut cream and fresh strawberries.
And the most important part is that they are completely vegan, gluten and refined sugar-free.
These PB&J Chocolate Tarts are very sweet and chocolatey, and they don’t have even a dash of refined sugar.
I have always had a sweet tooth. Most of the people need coffee in the morning to help them properly wake up, but for me, it is the sweet things that do that trick. I’m not saying about having a dessert like breakfast, on the contrary, I prefer having something savory for breakfast, what I’m referring to, is the thing before breakfast, that thing that helps you open your eyes and start the day, the thing you have while preparing your breakfast. Yes for me it is not a tea, not coffee, it is something sweet, preferably chocolate or something chocolaty.
And even though that might not be the healthiest of all habits, it is something that I’ve tried but failed to change.
But our bodies are all different, we crave and need different things for many different reasons, and the most important thing I’ve learned so far is that listening to our bodies is the most important thing we need to know and do!
That being said, even though I wasn’t able to change my habit I was able to change the type of sweet things I had.
And these PB&J Chocolate tarts are one of the recipes that have made that whole process a lot easier.
They are so simple, best to make the night before, keep them In the fridge overnight and you will have a refreshing, chocolatey, guilt-free dessert for the next day.
If you are looking for another refreshing vegan, refined sugar-free desserts, check out my
- 2 cups 250gr pitted dates (if dry soak them in water for 15min, and then drain them)
- 100gr oats
- 100gr almonds
- 2Tbsp raw
- CHOCOLATE-PEANUTBUTTER CREAM
- 350gr peanut butter
- 4 Tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 4 Tbsp Maple or Honey
- 10ml Almond milk (or any other plant based milk, you can also use water)
- ½tbs vanilla extract
- STRAWBERRY JAM
- 200gr Fresh or frozen Strawberries
- 3 or 4 Tbsp lemon juice (from fresh lemon)
- ½ grated lemon zest
- 2Tbsp maple syrup
- COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM
- 1can full-fat milk
- 1or 2 Tbsp maple syrup or any other sweetener
- 1/1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add the pitted dates, oats and almonds into a high-speed blender, and blend until a smooth sticky consistency is formed.
- Once done, spread it evenly on the tart tins
- Place them in the fridge while you prepare the jam and the chocolate peanut butter cream.
- Into a sauce pan add the strawberries together with the lemon juice and maple syrup, let it simmer on a medium heat. Once it starts to thicken remove it from the heat and add the lemon zest.Let it cool off before spreading it on your tarts.
- While the jam cools, start preparing the cream
- Into a blender, add the peanut butter, maple syrup, raw cocoa powder and almond milk, blend until very smooth and combined.
- When you have everything ready, take the tarts out of the fridge and start putting them together. First, add a layer of the strawberry jam and on top of the jam add a thicker layer of the chocolate peanut butter cream.
- Place the tarts in the fridge and start preparing the whipped coconut cream.
- Open the can of full-fat coconut milk ( it needs to be chilled in the fridge for at least 24h before using it).
- Scoop the solid white coconut cream and save the liquid for some other recipe or coconut ice cubes.
- Add the solid part into a chilled mixing bowl, and mix with an electric hand mixer.
- Once done, top the tarts with it.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries (optional)